So what exactly is coming with extended C++ support?

Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 30 12:47:30 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 30 September 2014 at 17:11:48 UTC, Szymon Gatner
wrote:
> I use both std/boost and exceptions when makes sense - game is
> not just rendering and number crunching after all.

I used some parts of boost c++0x std on ios a few years ago. I
guess it is no longer maintained, but maybe it is possible to use
the useful parts of a generic std library and match the memory
layout on the D side?

> calling writeln() from D side). Win32 support is coming but I
> expect similar problems (is nobody really mixing C++ and D
> using VC++ atm?).

Dunno.

> That being said my biggest fear is that D2 will never be
> finished... I am lurking on those forums for 2 years now,
> waiting for the signal to start the transition but I need to be
> sure that in few months everything I need and the code I write
> will work as expected (and on iOS too). I am not seeing this

Well, I looked at D1 eight years ago with the intent of using it
for game/world content on the server side. It was kind of nice,
but the compiler was basic. Then I decided to drop D1 and wait
for D2 when it was announced, and been tracking it ever since...
So yeah, impatient. I dont think there will be a game friendly D
version untill someone decides to cooperate on D--. Basically
cutting features and redesign for fast precise GC that minimize
cache load and that can run 60 times per sec without taking more
than 10% of the cpu.

I think it is doable for a given execution and memory model. Add
some constraints and performance will happen! :-)

> strings...). It looks like Phobos might need to be rewritten
> entirely and soon. I will not give up tho, if I must skip D for
> one more project (which lasts year or two) then be it,
> hopefully I will be able to use if for the nest one :(

If all the people who want to use it for game content ( not
engine, but content ) cooperated and created c++ compatible
datatypes then maybe we could have something going within 6-12
months?