Mid-term vision review

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 3 03:56:24 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 2 April 2015 at 22:44:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> It's the end of Q1. Walter and I reviewed our vision document.
> We're staying the course with one important addition: switching
> to ddmd, hopefully with 2.068.
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1

That's great news, looking forward to ddmd getting out soon.
Looks like this will take about 50-60% of dmd's source to D,
which should also help a bit with creating a D cross-compiler.

One move that might help is to list specific steps you'd like
taken for each of those broader goals, ie a list of "action
items" to further each of those goals.  Otherwise, many of those
are too vague for people to actually pick up and act on: how do
they improve the quality of implementation or "brand?"

You have already been doing this recently by listing various
needed jobs on the forum with the [WORK] label, which is helpful
for those looking for ways to pitch in, but it would be better if
they were listed on a single page in the wiki.  Things just get
lost in bugzilla, as it's hard to search, though you could put
together a list on the wiki with links to the relevant bugzilla
issues, if you wanted to keep bugzilla as the main archive.

Also, now that the download page splits up the zip files by OS, a
long-needed move, it would be interesting to see stats of
downloads by OS. :)