D vs nim

weaselcat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 10 11:52:23 PDT 2015

On Friday, 10 April 2015 at 18:42:20 UTC, Timothee Cour wrote:
> Nim looks very promising.
> Is there any comprehensive comparison against D somewhere (if
> possible
> recent) ?

The only things I've read about nim have been on the D forums -
it seems the wikipedia article is even being considered for
deletion due to not being noteworthy. So I think you might have
trouble finding any comparisons.

P.S., the example on the language's frontpage is cool!

http://nim-lang.org/

Why should I be excited?
Nim is the only language that leverages automated proof
technology to perform a disjoint check for your parallel code.
Working on disjoint data means no locking is required and yet
data races are impossible:

parallel:
   var i = 0
   while i <= a.high:
     spawn f(a[i])
     spawn f(a[i+1])
     # ERROR: cannot prove a[i] is disjoint from a[i+1]
     # BUT: replace 'i += 1' with 'i += 2' and the code compiles!
     i += 1