Probably you can run a D command line app on an android ARM device

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 13 10:44:41 PDT 2015

On Monday, 13 April 2015 at 16:33:06 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 April 2015 at 19:03:33 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> BTW - since we have linux on ARM, the following may be useful
>> if you wish to run a D application on your Android mobile
>> device.  No ADB or root required.
>>
>> http://kevinboone.net/android_nonroot.html
>
> I stumbled across that site sometime back when looking for a
> way to open a shell with my own command-line apps on my Android
> tablet and run the druntime/phobos unit tests from the command
> line on an unrooted Android/ARM device.  However, that setup is
> not going to fix the TLS issue that's holding up Android/ARM.
> D sticks all non-shared/__gshared globals in Thread-Local
> Storage (TLS) by default, but Android doesn't support TLS
> natively, so you can't just compile a D app for linux/ARM and
> run it on Android/ARM, whether with that setup or not.

So that is why vibed demo app doesn't work although it does
compile.   (The TLS kludge not yet in GDC).  So if I make all
globall gshared, I can do useful work today using Gdc on arm
android, even if I have to use an alternative to vibed for the
network stuff ?

>> I guess you might be able to run a local web server to have a
>> friendlier interface, although I have not yet tried.  Since
>> ssh and rsync works, I don't see why a web server wouldn't.
>
> It'll likely work; you just can't run on port 80 because you
> don't have root.

Fine with me to use another port...  I am not trying to serve the
world, just be able to interact via the browser rather than
command line.

>> The alternative is to run a full linux install in a chroot:
>>
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.meefik.linuxdeploy
>
> But that requires root, so you're back to square one.

Well, I have root.  But if I get somebody else to start playing
with my app, I don't want to have to make them root their device
just to see what it does.

Laeeth.