Pitching an investment bank on using D for their bond analytics

Justin Whear via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 14 09:42:42 PDT 2015

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 12:08:53 +0000, D Denizen since a year wrote:

I lead a group that uses D pretty much 100% for a number of different
kinds of projects, so I've seen many sides to D's advantages.  That said,
I don't enough about investment banking analytics to know exactly what
they value.  Here are some suggestions:

What are the sine qua nons of the project?
 * Are there hard performance requirements?
 * Are there specific hardware requirements?
 * Are there software/library requirements (e.g. you must use our
proprietary ...)

These are areas where you must prove that D is adequate, but not
necessarily where you should focus.

What characterizes 80% of the code?
 * Large linear algebra problems?
 * High-level business logic that needs to be maintained by an analyst?
 * Database operations?

As an example, if the high-level business logic is the bulk of the
codebase, demonstrate how D's cleaner syntax lowers the bar for code
review by analysts.  Show how UFCS and pipeline programming allow
intuitive and highly-legible composition.  Find some key pain points that
D is particularly amenable to solving.  If you can list a few of these
sorts of points I might have more concrete suggestions.

Cheers
Justin