SDC needs you -- redux

weaselcat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 18 23:01:13 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 19 April 2015 at 05:04:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 4/18/15 3:08 PM, Mengu wrote:
>> On Saturday, 18 April 2015 at 21:21:42 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed (as with your entire call to arms - nicely done).
>>> Where's a
>>> complete description of Go's out-of-the-box tooling? That's
>>> definitely
>>> an example we can draw inspiration from. -- Andrei
>>
>> here it is: https://golang.org/cmd/
>>
>> many of them are also passed to go cmd as an argument. like go
>> fmt, go
>> vet, go test, etc.
>
> Cool, thanks! Looking forward to tips from Go users about which
> tools are most appreciated and appropriate for a D incarnation.
> -- Andrei

gofmt, much like python's standardized formatting, made
contributing to go projects much easier IMO. While the same can't
be done for D, hopefully dfmt becomes a standard tool and each
dub project can just include a dfmt.conf or something to make
contributing easier.

I agree with the OP on the tooling point, just look at C++. C++
had historically zero(okay, some - but it sucked! ctags were
awful, etc.) tooling before clang hit the scene. IMO clang/LLVM
was a complete game changer for C++ tooling, and I hope D can do
the same.

Clang has a static analyzer, a formatter, a modernizer...
Hell, clang(and obv. libclang) can dump the AST right from its
driver, and even has autocompletion built into
it(-code-completion-at)

Also, it offers many sanitizers now(undefined behavior, thread,
memory, address, leak, dataflow, probably others I forgot). AFAIK
a few of these are usable with LDC?