D vs nim

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 20 02:21:20 PDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-14 at 12:47 +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 April 2015 at 10:48:48 UTC, Messenger wrote:
> > To be fair, a vocal minority says the same of D. Accusations of
> > linkbombing are commonplace, as is the notion that the D forums
> > are "nice except for the constant go-bashing", claims that
> > there is an organized secret cabal (naturally led by AA and WB)
> > directing people over IRC to upvote everything D regardless of
> > content, etc. Once the seed of doubt is there suddenly everyone
> > saying anything positive about D is probably/maybe/possibly
> > just part of the mob.
>
> The problem with Nim is different. They'll go into the comments
> section of a completely unrelated post, write something favorable
> about Nim, then they'll all upvote it so it stays there. That
> signals to me that they know they can't generate interest based
> on the merits of the language.

That is a very strong claim about ethically bad behaviour, I hope you
have evidence to substantiate it.

Even if true, that sort of behaviour is just "gaming the system", I am
sure it happens in Java, C, C++, etc. circles, it is all part of
guerilla marketing undertaken by anyone with anything to market.

I like the Nim concept and approach, but there is an annoying attitude
towards certain types of obvious bug. My current bugbear (!) is that
the installer will not install, due to what seems like a blindingly
obvious problem, but they will not fix the issue because "just use it
in place". Grr…

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk