Cleaned up C++

ponce via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 27 01:23:26 PDT 2015

On Monday, 27 April 2015 at 07:45:30 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> On Sunday, 26 April 2015 at 19:13:33 UTC, ponce wrote:
>>
>> Lesson taken: should have put a less aggressive title.
>
> Not necessarily.  The people who complain loudly constitute a
> tiny subset of those who are ultimately influenced.  One can't
> walk through life in fear of criticism, and if you believe D is
> superior in this respect and backed it up (which it seemed to
> me you did), then I think it's more effective to say so and
> prepare for the inevitable brickbats than to placate those who
> will always find a reason to attack you ;)

Good advice, thanks! It seems the more assertive tones often get
less criticism.

> In any case, some really good stuff in your idioms.  Maybe
> worth turning into a longer blog piece that recounts in a
> personal voice your experience of using D as a C++ guy.

Thanks. There might be errors in places.

Bringing D in the workplace often bring incredible resistance and
arguments.

I've heard it all over the years:
- "D is like C#, why use it?"
- "D can't be scripted" (yes it can)
- "D isn't fast enough"
- "D isn't much used and is 10 years old, there must be problems"
- "D isn't used enough"

Much like C++ was met with resistance?
Meanwhile D programs get written and consistently over-deliver on
promises.