ARM Cortex-M Microcontroller startup files

Jens Bauer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 29 17:52:33 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 April 2015 at 00:14:18 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On 04/27/2015 03:42 PM, Timo Sintonen wrote:
>>
>> The basic idea has been to make as little changes as possible.
>> I started
>
> Wonder if it makes more sense to start from zero and add as few
> files as possible.

That was my thought too.

> Druntime doesn't do much useful stuff for a µC anyhow.

I agree. Things like stdint is needed very much. -But this does
not really add anything to the binary file size.

> What might be interesting is this.
>
> - core.bitop
> - maybe core.atomic
> - some gcc simd module
> - libc bindings for core.stdc.math and core.stdc.stdio for
> printf

Indeed. Personally I hate printf, FILE* and the like, but a huge
crowd needs them, so I'll admit defeat here. ;)

My thoughts are in the direction: "lightweight", "quick",
"functional".
Eg. "Everything that does not add to the executable size on its
own is welcome." and "If it's absolutely required, then OK, add
it."
-But I'd say that everything else should be up to the user to add
(if possible).
Some people might not use strings - normally I only use
zero-terminated character arrays myself, so I would consider this
optional. But on the other hand, strings in D are very powerful,
so I would hate if I weren't able to use them. Associate arrays
are in the same boat.
Thus, if the user is lucky enough to have a file system (eg.
SD-card), then it would make sense to have a FILE*. On the other
hand, I wouldn't like the FILE* on anything that does not have
any disk-like peripherals.