D for Game Development

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 3 00:44:59 PDT 2015

On 3/08/2015 6:53 p.m., Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
> On Monday, 3 August 2015 at 03:28:26 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:

>>> I understand absolutely nothing about it.
>>
>> I'll try my best to explain it.
>>
>> - There could be 200k-400k+ blocks and items per modded instance
>
> I don't understand why there are so many. Once you calculated the EMC
> for each block -or item-type, you have them all, no?

200k-400k does sound a lot, but it really isn't.
There is a 'standard' mod called forge multi part. Basically for every
block it adds a rather large amount more. It's at the very least *10 the
real number of blocks.
There are other mods that do similar but different things like this.

Here is an old video from Direworld20 that should help you understand[0].

Also keep in mind dependencies between blocks and items for crafting
recipes.

For the Agrarian Skies2 mod pack, it has roughly 4*13*499 items/blocks.
Based upon what was visible from NEI.

I did have block+item dump here, but ugh too big for NNTP server.

The lists only total 6145 but based upon NEI it would be closer to
25948. So obviously there are many many things not included in the item
+ block dumps. Things like multiparts are not listed by the looks.
FYI Agrarian Skies is a themed mod pack that was not designed for
fanciness so e.g. no extra "cool" blocks. Other packs like Direwolf20
would have much more massive numbers. After all there is a reason why
Mojang shifted from a number to identify blocks and items to strings.
Mods were using them up a little too much[1].

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yUr4jmU6s
[1] http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/4096-and-beyond.20774/