DUB RC 0.9.24-rc.1 ready for testing

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 6 04:04:21 PDT 2015

On 6/08/2015 10:28 p.m., yawniek wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 at 13:17:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> At the first D meetup in the Silicon Valley, Vic (an accomplished
>> entrepreneur who has been following up D'd path) discussed some ideas
>> for improving D's adoption. He mentioned some other languages have
>> improved adoption by means of a strong application (e.g. Rails for
>> Ruby) and suggested we make vibe.d, which is one of D's most
>> compelling publicly available applications, more prominent among D's
>> toolchain. He mentioned that many folks start with the high-level need
>> ("I need a web framework") and accept the language as an artifact.
>
> great point, i was one of these people.
> my requirements where simple:
> - needs to be ultrafast
> - needs to produce binary
> - bonus: nice language, many libraries.
> in the end it was GO (many libs, shitty lang) vs. D (not so many libs,
> great lang,faster)
>
> but i don't think bundling vibe will help.
> bundling dub will be enough. you just do dub init -t vibe.d and you're set.
> plus you will hopefully have the latest stable version automatically.
>
> imho the following stuff is missing/could be done to lower the barrier
> of entry
> (some have been mentioned already):
>
> general language:
> - join the forums. create a place to discuss vibe that has some traffic
> already.
> - ability to add code snippets/comments to the documentation (this was
> php's way to success back in the days). A risky strategy because of the
> trash,but maybe worth thinking about
>
> vibe:
> - a cool example project (e.g. a clone of hackernews similar to
> lobste.rs. )
> - include/document (postgres)sql database access (ddb?)
>
> nice to haves:
> - plugin system with generators e.g. for Users, Authorization etc.
> - some live compile/reload loop for development (via shared libs?)

Definitely possible[0]. But Vibe.d is the wrong place to go looking at
it. We need a web application server ala Java/JSP style.

And yes, I'm working on it :)
There are dependencies missing still unfortunately to do it effectively.
E.g. VFS (yes a requirement). Again, working on it.

[0] https://github.com/rikkimax/livereload