D for Game Development

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 6 04:30:10 PDT 2015

On 6 August 2015 at 21:23, Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 6/08/2015 11:18 p.m., Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> On 5 August 2015 at 05:13, Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>>> Got a source for that? As I can't find it.
>>

>> Hi. I dunnit, and I did a talk about it at dconf2013.
>

> I knew you were involved with them back then. I was more interested in
> anything that happened after that.

It took a lot longer for us to get the compiler to a sufficiently
stable state that we were able to build reliably than we'd liked. In
the mean time, code pegged for D was forced to be written in C, so a
lot of D code ended out being C code on account of 'couldn't wait'.
When I left, there were a couple of critical systems running in D, and
a few toolchain issues left to work out (Windows DLL's + GC). It was
left with Ethan who occasionally appears here.
I'm not sure where it went after that. There was much enthusiasm among
the team, but the toolchain progressed slower than we could afford,
and we just had to get on with it in some cases. Hopefully there's
still some D code in there, and (if the problems were fixed!) there's
no good reason why it wouldn't have scaled out from where I left it.