D for Game Development

Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 6 15:48:48 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 at 06:30:06 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> Here is what we need to do going forward (beyond what me and
> Manu are doing):
>
> 1. Derelict-Util needs to be put into Phobos. This is not
> optional
> 2. Derelict-GL3 needs to be put into Phobos. Optional, but
> might be a damn good idea!
> 3. Windows API needs to be moved into either Phobos or
> druntime. Not optional.
> 4. X11 bindings added to Phobos. Not optional.
> 5. Cocoa bindings added to Phobos. Not optional.
>
> This all needs to happen _before_ we start working on a window
> library for Phobos.
> Let alone a GUI.
>
> We're mostly got problems with Cocoa. X11 bindings just need to
> be changed to dynamically bound.
>
> Windows API bindings if gone into druntime wouldn't need to go
> through the review cycle luckily. But would need some decent
> review on e.g. Github.

I really feel like D needs to get over it's "not invented here"
syndrome, a much easier path would to just use a pre existing
cross platform windowing library. Its laughable that the people
in D want to reinvent this stuff. It's been done, just use the
already working version! Why have all this great c and c++
interop if we never use it.

I have the same gripe with how the experimental.image is doing
image loading/saving, there are plenty of already existing image
libraries that already support every image format you could ever
dream of. Just use them, they will work 1000x better than any
reinvention that we do here.