D for Game Development

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 9 07:13:16 PDT 2015

On 9 August 2015 at 23:52, Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 09-Aug-2015 15:27, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> On 9 August 2015 at 20:04, Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> std.simd though would be awesome to have ;)
>>

>> Yeah, I keep coming back to it, and getting myself stuck with various
>> troubles making it work good. I'm perpetually unhappy with my code,
>> and I just need a really good block of time to get through it.
>> If people want to review std.color and help get that off my
>> short-list, I promise I'll make std.simd my top priority :P
>

> Well, let us march towards std.experimental.color then :)
> I'll see what I need about it or maybe it's plenty good enough for me
> already.
>
> One thing I've hit with color in the past is painfully slow bulk array at
> once color conversions. In 2013 my CV app for an embbeded linux device had
> spent ~50% of time gray-scaling input image(!) that is until I coded a bit
> of NEON to fix that to ~11%. And note I'm no SIMD guru so I had spent an
> evening worth of time to test a few versions but the result was well worth
> it.

I'm happy to do optimisation passes, and have plenty of experience to
do so, but the API and general feature set needs to be agreed before I
do that sort of thing.
Optimisation can come via future PR's.

Incidentally, std.color would be a great customer for std.simd ;)