D for Game Development

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 9 06:52:28 PDT 2015

On 09-Aug-2015 15:27, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 9 August 2015 at 20:04, Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On 09-Aug-2015 12:33, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Cheers, but don't get me wrong; I've barely contributed anything of
>>> value other than advocacy and little bits and pieces here and there. I
>>> don't deserve any credit, I just complain about things that make it
>>> impossible for me to get on with my work.
>>

>> std.simd though would be awesome to have ;)
>
> Yeah, I keep coming back to it, and getting myself stuck with various
> troubles making it work good. I'm perpetually unhappy with my code,
> and I just need a really good block of time to get through it.
> If people want to review std.color and help get that off my
> short-list, I promise I'll make std.simd my top priority :P

Well, let us march towards std.experimental.color then :)
I'll see what I need about it or maybe it's plenty good enough for me
already.

One thing I've hit with color in the past is painfully slow bulk array
at once color conversions. In 2013 my CV app for an embbeded linux
device had spent ~50% of time gray-scaling input image(!) that is until
I coded a bit of NEON to fix that to ~11%. And note I'm no SIMD guru so
I had spent an evening worth of time to test a few versions but the
result was well worth it.

--
Dmitry Olshansky