dmd codegen improvements

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 19 03:50:23 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 19 August 2015 at 10:33:40 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> Given how flexble the current data types are I hardly see it
> implemented in a sane way not to mention benefits could
> berather slim. Lastly - why the "omnipotnent" (by this thread)
> LLVM/GCC guys won't implement it yet?

They are stuck on C semantics, and so are their optimizer. But
LLVM have other calling conventions for Haskell and other
languages.

I believe Pony is going to use register passing internally and  C
ABI externally using LLVM.

> To slightly gain? Again the goal of maximizing the gains of
> vectors ops is hardly interesting IMO.

Well… I can't argue with what you find interesting. Memory
throughput and pipeline bubbles are the key bottlenecks these
days.

But I agree that the key point should be compilation speed /
debugging. In terms of PR it would be better to say that DMD are
making debug builds than to say it has a subpar optimizer.