Has anyone every successfully built a cross-compiler for the Nintendo DS?

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 31 13:39:40 PDT 2015

Am Mon, 31 Aug 2015 20:21:16 +0000
schrieb "Meta" <jared771 at gmail.com>:

> On Monday, 31 August 2015 at 19:49:16 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> > GDC can compile for Nintendo DS[1] (at least it was possible
> > some months ago). I've run a simple D Hello World test (writing
> > hello world to the display, touchscreen input) using libnds.
> > There's no druntime port and the DS probably doesn't have
> > enough RAM for the GC. The compiler is 99% ready but I don't
> > really have time to work on a runtime port.
> >

> > [1] using the devkitARM buildscripts. Checkout correct GDC
> > branch, ./setup-gcc.sh the GCC sources, modify devkitARM build
> > script to
> > include --enable-languages=d --disable-libphobos
>
> Ah, I thought it was you but I couldn't remember. Did you happen
> to create bindings to libnds, or was it just what you needed for
> Hello World?

I only used one or two functions in libnds and only created bindings
for these.

I guess it'd be easy to add full bindings and use some bare-metal stub
runtime to build simple applications. But as the DS is a more powerful
system you'd probably want exception support which needs to be ported
from druntime, core.stdc would be necessary as well... The best
solution is probably to do a minimal, GC-less druntime port. Would be a
nice project, but it'd probably also takes quite some time.