Microsoft to contribute to Clang and LLVM project

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 9 17:09:30 PST 2015

On Monday, 7 December 2015 at 11:26:27 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> News article, Microsoft releases Clang with Microsoft CodeGen:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/12/04/introducing-clang-with-microsoft-codegen-in-vs-2015-update-1.aspx
>
> The interesting bit is at the end:
>
> "
> Clang with Microsoft CodeGen isn't just a private fork of the
> open-source Clang compiler. We'll be contributing the vast
> majority of the Clang and LLVM changes we've made back to the
> official Clang and LLVM sources. The biggest of these changes
> is support for emitting debug information compatible with the
> Visual Studio debugger
> "
>
> With these developments, one asks again, is it wise to spend
> any more time working and using the Digital Mars backend for
> D?...

Walter has decades invested in his backend, he won't even look at
code for other compilers.  He's still working on his dmd backend,
just added DWARF exception-handling support.  Dmd is still the
fastest to compile and provides reasonably good code generation,
though not the best, so dmd still has use as a fast development
compiler.

Let's see, did I miss a reason?  These are all the ones I've read
on the forum in the past.