Microsoft to contribute to Clang and LLVM project

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 9 18:22:34 PST 2015

On Thursday, 10 December 2015 at 01:09:30 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Let's see, did I miss a reason?  These are all the ones I've
> read on the forum in the past.

But the real question is whether it is a strategic good move?

Go is the only language now that use its own backend and they
loose performance over it, and get bad comments for it, but they
get to tailor it to a reasonable GC so it has some strategic
value.

Rust recently announced that Mozilla is going to include Rust
code in their products in 2016. So they are committed.

The science people seem to rally behind Julia JIT, and a JIT and
mindshare is important in that field.

With Swift on Linux the ARC approach becomes less attractive for
other languages as you put yourself up for direct comparison. If
Swift can get reasonable performance on Linux and Android then
they will take a fair marketshare real fast because of tooling
and portability, both on mobile and even on web servers.

In this crowded "close to production ready" landscape competition
becomes more fierce. I think languages like Swift going cross
platform will create trouble for languages like Nim and D.