Some feedback on the website.

tcak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 15 02:54:09 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 15 December 2015 at 08:31:40 UTC, Gary Willoughby
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 December 2015 at 08:26:44 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:
>> On 2015-12-15 08:07, deadalnix wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> All of this is quite damaging to D's brand.
>>>
>>> Even even though I'm not a webdev, I've been working in
>>> growth for a
>>> long time and these things matter. I don't know DDoc, and I'm
>>> not sure
>>> this is a very smart move. That raise the barrier to
>>> contribute to the
>>> website. The intersection of people that know webdev and DDoc
>>> is just
>>> mostly existent.
>>>
>>> The time I can spend on this is quite limited due to SDC,
>>> work and
>>> personal life. Learning DDoc is just too big of a barrier.
>>> Yet I can
>>> provide support to anyone that is willing to help.
>>>
>>> Last but not least, it wouldn't hurt to hire a designer to
>>> have
>>> something slick.
>>
>> I agree with all this, especially the last part about Ddoc.
>
> We've all said time and time again if ddoc wasn't used for the
> entire site more people would help with it. Ddoc makes sense
> for the documentation but not everything else.
>
> I thought Sociomantic were re-designing and sorting the site
> out?

The harder it is made for people to contribute the system for
fixations, the lesser changes are seen.

It bothers me so much to report a bug on https://issues.dlang.org
. The reason is that the password stops working for me. Firefox
saves the username and password. I try to use it after 2 months,
and whops, system says it isn't available.

Another issue is contributing the website's design. I reported a
problem on the forum that is about the title problem of web page.
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/pymfyjuckxbvjolxlczg@forum.dlang.org Still the problem will be fixed.

Now I am asking, IF I was to make some changes for web site's
look, and post a picture of them (CSS changes mostly), would it
be okay to discuss it here, and apply them in short notice? If a
change would take 1 week, that doesn't work. I am
offering help here.