Some feedback on the website.

BLM768 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 16 15:43:41 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 16 December 2015 at 23:01:47 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> Exactly.
>
> We'll never get anywhere chasing people who say "I'll help only
> if you convert to my way of doing things." I've done enough of
> that in the past, and concluded they're just seeing how long
> you'll dance to their tune and have no real intention of ever
> helping - there will just be another excuse.

It's funny how much "better" one's own ideas seem until one
realizes that implementing them usually takes just as much effort
as with someone else's idea, and work is almost always the
limiting factor.

On the subject of "one's own ideas", here's mine, FWIW:

First, my background thoughts. We seem to have four main
"sections" of the site: the forums (built on DFeed), the wiki
(built on MediaWiki), the language docs (DDoc), and the "main"
site (in DDoc/HTML). The first three are using technologies which
were explicitly designed for what they do, and they work quite
nicely. The only thing left is the "main" site (the download
page, articles, etc.), which doesn't fit into the models of the
first two technologies and is somewhat clumsy for some people to
edit because it's built on more than just "common" Web standards.

I can think of a couple of ideas for making the main page more
palatable to Web developers. One is to make as much of it as
possible in plain old static HTML. Stuff like the articles rarely
changes, after all. Another idea is to use a Web application
framework. There's a significant advantage there: we can have one
master "layout" template, and almost any content we want (forums,
DDoc-generated HTML, static HTML, and so on) can be rendered in
that template with relatively minimal code. There are lots of
frameworks that shouldn't be hard to use. I'm sure that someone
has already suggested doing it in vibe.d, and that probably got
shot down due to a technical issue or something, but it would be
interesting from a PR standpoint.