Redesign of dlang.org

Charles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 22 10:16:56 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 22 December 2015 at 15:01:52 UTC, Dmitry wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 December 2015 at 13:38:48 UTC, Charles wrote:
>> That's silliness, and not how percentages work at all. To
>> suggest that 95% of people that go to dlang.org have
>> widescreens because 95% of some other user base is nonsense.
> 1) Do you have statistics of dlang.org?

This is entirely my point. I don't, and I can't tell from your
response that you do either.

> 2) Do you think that dlang.org statisitcs will be very
> different with world statistics? I don't think so.

Yes. I'd suspect the number of people using phones to visit a
programming language website would be smaller than, say,
Facebook. I have no way of telling though. Do you? It's better to
not assume.

> 3) Do you think that % of 4:3 displays will not drop? In all
> world it decrease each month.

Websites need to be maintained just like anything else. That's
the entire point of this thread.

> I used statistics from my professional sphere, but ok, lets try
> google any other.
> For example,
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
> 1024x768  Jan 2015: 4%
> 1280x1024 Jan 2015: 7%
> 1366x768 33%
> 1920x1080 16%

They state right on the page that its only visitors of
w3schools.com, so... people interested in learning web
development.

> Other way. Check any shop. How many new monitors 4:3 (or 5:4)
> it have, and how many widescreen?
> Check, how many new 4:3 models have, for example, LG? One.
> Asus? No one. Any other company? Only a few, right? Trend is
> that % of 4:3 displays goes to be 0 soon.

Completely correct. Now, how many monitors support a vertical
orientation? Just because its uncommon doesn't mean its not done.

>> Opinion. I agree with you, but why alienate anyone? It's not
>> like narrow websites are unusable. They're just not your
>> preference. For people like Ola, wide websites are
>> legitimately unusable.
> I did not say that site must be only for widescreen. Keywords:
> Responsive Web Design.

Go ahead and Google that. I can almost guarantee you one of the
first things you'll find is "Mobile First". Yeah, its still a big
deal.

>> To be fair, D's documentation uses a left-side menu, but it
>> removes the top level navigation (you have to press the logo).
> Yep, new design has _same_ solution.

The new design was a rough draft. It also didn't even implement
documentation navigation, it merely served as a proof-of-concept.

>> I'd call that more of a design flaw than a feature.
> Do you have more good ideas?

I'd suggest using left navigation for documentation navigation,
and a top bar for main site navigation. On small screen width,
instead of a left navigation, it'd just be a list for each module
page, and a back button on the module pages. I'd have to play
with it a bit to figure out how I'd want it for sure though.