H1 2015 Priorities and Bare-Metal Programming

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 13:57:53 PST 2015

On 2/1/2015 3:28 AM, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> He got some very direct responses that told him that if an OS doesn't
> have thread-support etc there's no use to run D on that. Responses like
> that obviously demotivate people.

 From myself or Andrei? I don't recall such.

There's nothing inherent to D or druntime that requires a multithreaded
operating system. After all, a single threaded OS is a multithreaded operating
system that simply returns an error when a call to create a new thread is initiated.

> IIRC he also proposed moving more of TypeInfo implementation to the
> runtime so TypeInfo layout can be modified by the runtime or even
> completely avoided by not implementing it in the runtime. The main
> response was that it complicates compiler code too much for little
> benefit. Obviously bare-metal programmers might disagree on the little
> benefit part and as Mike points out rust seems to do similar things.

We did something similar with the GC info, i.e. RTinfo. I think the same
technique could be use for TypeInfo.