Should we remove int[$] before 2.067?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 2 07:24:15 PST 2015

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 14:11:20 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

> On Monday, 2 February 2015 at 10:28:37 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> but to work on D3 people should be interested in D. and it seems that
>> people who are interested in D and are ready to work on D development
>> already have some codebases. i don't believe that they will welcome yet
>> another codebase conversion. ;-)
>
> Mmmaybe, but I think more people would be more willing to work on the
> compiler if the goal is to produce a niche language of high standards.
> Basically, a best of breed for niche X.

so it should have defined niche then. sadly, D hasn't, as it tries to be
"good system language", "good high-level language" and even "good
scripting language" to some extent.

i, for example, see D as something intermediate between "system" and
"high-level". for me it's really "better C with classes (and structs)".
and lambdas, which i'm using in gcc too. and i don't really need that
"@safe" and "pure" things -- hey, if compiler is able to check that, it's
able to infer that, so do it and just get out of my way! ah, and "nothrow"
too. let me force that if i want, but otherwise don't burden my sources.

sure, to fully exploit that (and other things) it's better to drop that
oldish "object files" concept and use something like delphi's .dcu.

> When features compete in a way that makes it impossible to be the best
> in any niche, then that basically kills motivation (at least mine).

me too: i still can't understand what kind of language D tries to be.

> Stability, quality and performance. Kill the less important stuff and
> move for performance. Performance generally trumps other parameters if
> you are actively getting benchmarks published IMHO.

performance can be left to gcc branch: let gcc people write optimisers
for us! ;-) ah, and architecture support too.

> To get performance you need to focus on one platform first.

not necessary. just stop using homegrown codegen for anything except
compiler prototypes. develop new features and fixes with prototype
comiler, which is able to produce working code, but doesn't even try to
do "native" optimisations, and then use gcc as backend for releases.