Git, the D package manager

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 3 13:46:25 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 3 February 2015 at 21:05:38 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> I didn't forget it myself, but thanks for bringing it up. I'm
> considering having a tup backend actually.
> Tup is cool but unfortunately is still "too manual", for lack
> of a better term. I'd much rather write "add_executable" and
> not worry about the details than write the commands explicitly
> myself. But it's certainly interesting as an alternative
> backend to, say, Ninja.

I would warn against this attitude. Trying to do too much magic
is one of reasons I ignore all of modern build tools and still
keep my makefiles. There is huge benefit in knowing that your
build tool can express any dependency tree based workflow in
uniform manner - be it compiling sometithing, downloading remote
artifacts or generating a package.

With a good base "smart" solutions can be built on top. This is
actually how we use make in Sociomantic - by having a set of
standard makefiles with D-specific rules that allow to define
build target as simple as this:

$B/appname: $C/src/appname/main.d

all += $B/appname

(yes, that is all that needs to be in actual makefile)