Git, the D package manager

Mathias LANG via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 4 00:47:19 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 4 February 2015 at 01:04:42 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:

> No idea why git submodule update worked the second time.

You can simply use: `git submodule update --init`, which init
submodules if they aren't yet.
Better, write yourself an alias for clone, let's call it 'cl',
which includes --recursive. I used to have one that cloned from
github at a specific tag (git gcl Geod24 phobos 2.067 would clone
phobos in Geod24-phobos-2.067). I wasn't aware this would break
some code.

submodules can be nice to work with, but you have to get use to
it. Which is why I love dub, it lowers the entry barrier.
Howerver, provided the feedback on this thread, it could use a
step-by-step tutorial.