Trusted Manifesto

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 10 06:06:00 PST 2015

On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 13:12 -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On 2/9/15 7:48 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> > > auto result = (() @trusted => cast(immutable)a)();
> >
> > I'm okay with this as with most of Steve's points. But
> > "genericness" is not a word :o). -- Andrei
>
> Merriam Webster says otherwise ;)
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/generic

But that dictionary doesn't matter, the OED is the one true keeper of
the English language.

From what I can see genericity is not officially an English word, even
though OUP have published a book with this "word" as title:
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199691807.do

Genericness is definitely listed, and so is a valid word.

On the other hand, terms of art (aka jargon) are allowed, and computer
science has determined that genericity is a valid word. As long as it
is used in a computer science, software context.

:-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk