Proposal : aggregated dlang git repository

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 11 23:35:06 PST 2015

On 2015-02-11 19:17, Dicebot wrote:

> $ git clone --recursive git at github.com:D-Programming-Language/dlang
>
> This will clone all submodules set to latest released version tag
> (v2.066.1 right now)

What I don't like about this is that you don't get the latest code.
Maybe this will cause more problems for new developers than it will fix.

> $ cd dlang; ./dlang.d update
>
> This will update all submodules to latest git master heads.

And when you do have the latest code, you will also have a "dirty"
working directory.

> git submodules are designed to track exact commit hash of remote
> repository - it is impossible to define those to always be cloned as
> most recent version of some branch. One can keep updating submodule
> references with some daemon service (Vladimir does exactly that in
> https://bitbucket.org/cybershadow/d)

I was thinking of using git hooks that updates the submodules. That is,
each repository that is a submodule would have a git hook that is run
after each commit. The hook would update the submodule in the meta
repository.

> but that will pollute history of
> meta-repo with dozens of trivial commits every day making it hard to use
> it for any real code (and also relying on well-being of that daemon
> service).

Will there be much "real" code in the meta repository? Are you thinking
about shared build scripts?

--
/Jacob Carlborg