Writing game engine in C++, considering switching to D

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 18 21:02:09 PST 2015

On 19 February 2015 at 12:08, Will Cassella via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies, everyone!
>
> I think I'll try my hand at writing bindings for my existing game engine, as
> Grøstad suggested - that way I can gradually transition the codebase to D if
> I like what I see.

I've used D alongside C++ code in games for a few years,
professionally, and in my own toy projects, including on the console
platforms you expressed a concern for.

You might want to take a look at my engine + bindings:
https://github.com/TurkeyMan/fuji/tree/master/dist/include/d2/fuji
You can do some cool stuff in D that is impossible in C++.
vertex.d for instance demonstrates some interesting opportunities to
make the bindings far nicer in D, even though it's just a front-end
for a C++ engine.