Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC

Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 24 05:07:37 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 24 February 2015 at 12:31:06 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
> Sorry about the caps, couldn't find a better way to emphasis.
> Not sure where you found out the information about x86, or why
> it should matter.

I found an (apparently older) version of the documentation
earlier that looked exactly the same, so I didn't mind to read
your link carefully enough.

> "The current collector is, by default, INCREMENTAL and
> GENERATIONAL. The interruptions of service should be very
> small, and the overall performance should be better than with
> the previous collectors."

Yes, however from your page now:

> Now @M3novm is the default.

And if you follow the link:

> @M3novm implies @M3noincremental and @M3nogenerational.

Maybe, that's an documentation error. This was the place where
the other version
mentioned that x86 is not supported.

While I like that you constantly remind us about achievements of
older programming languages, you'll often do it with a "that
problem was solved in Language X 20 years ago"-attitude, but
almost never elaborate how that solution could be applied to D.
When taking a closer look, I often find that those languages
solved an similar but different problem and the solution do not
apply to D at all. For example the last time in the discussion on
separate compilation, templates and object files you blamed the C
tool chain and pointed to pascal/delphi. But they didn't solved
the problem, because they didn't faced it in the first place,
because they didn't had the template and meta-programming
capabilities of D.

At the problem at hand: I don't see how Module3's distinction
between system and default pointer types or the lessons they
learned help in any way to improve the current D GC.