Mac Apps That Use Garbage Collection Must Move to ARC

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 24 05:29:35 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 24 February 2015 at 13:07:38 UTC, Tobias Pankrath
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 February 2015 at 12:31:06 UTC, Paulo  Pinto
> wrote:
>> Sorry about the caps, couldn't find a better way to emphasis.
>> Not sure where you found out the information about x86, or why
>> it should matter.
>
> I found an (apparently older) version of the documentation
> earlier that looked exactly the same, so I didn't mind to read
> your link carefully enough.
>
>> "The current collector is, by default, INCREMENTAL and
>> GENERATIONAL. The interruptions of service should be very
>> small, and the overall performance should be better than with
>> the previous collectors."
>
> Yes, however from your page now:
>
>> Now @M3novm is the default.
>
> And if you follow the link:
>
>> @M3novm implies @M3noincremental and @M3nogenerational.
>
> Maybe, that's an documentation error. This was the place where
> the other version
> mentioned that x86 is not supported.
>
> While I like that you constantly remind us about achievements
> of older programming languages, you'll often do it with a "that
> problem was solved in Language X 20 years ago"-attitude, but
> almost never elaborate how that solution could be applied to D.
> When taking a closer look, I often find that those languages
> solved an similar but different problem and the solution do not
> apply to D at all. For example the last time in the discussion
> on separate compilation, templates and object files you blamed
> the C tool chain and pointed to pascal/delphi. But they didn't
> solved the problem, because they didn't faced it in the first
> place, because they didn't had the template and
> meta-programming capabilities of D.

Yes I agree with you, it is just that I would like to see a
language like D being adopted at large, so as a language geek
that has spent too much time in language research during the
compiler design classes, I like to pull this information out of
the attic.

When knowledge goes away people get other understanding of the
reality, for example, many young developers think C was the very
first systems programming language, which isn't the case given
the research going on outside AT&T.

I am well aware that those solutions don't cover 100% D's use
cases, but maybe they have enough juice to provide ideas in D
context.

It is always a matter of research and funding for the said ideas.

If I was at academia, applying these ideas to improve D would be
a good source for papers and thesis. As such, I cannot do much
more than throw them over the wall and see if they can inspire
someone.

> At the problem at hand: I don't see how Module3's distinction
> between system and default pointer types or the lessons they
> learned help in any way to improve the current D GC.

It helps reduce the pressure in the GC allocated memory, and also
allows for giving pointers straight to external code.

Maybe given the type of implicit allocations in D vs Modula-3, it
doesn't help.

But yeah, too much noise from a D dabbler I guess.

--
Paulo