Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 1 02:48:09 PST 2015

On Monday, 29 December 2014 at 19:11:04 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 12/29/14 10:58 AM, Joakim wrote:
>> It also means more people asking for stuff, then doing nothing
>> contribute towards it, as though the D community is their
>> slave labor.
>
> If we, the D community, want D to succeed, we must change this
> attitude. -- Andrei

I was just going to let this go without answering, as it's
ambiguous, but since Dicebot just said something similar to what
I'd have said, I'll bite.  What do you mean by this?  That the
people asking for stuff then doing nothing have to change their
attitude or those in the D community, like Dicebot and me, who
point out that their approach is unrealistic should change our
attitude?

And regardless of your answer to that question, what do you see
as "success" for D and how do you plan to get there, given what
you know now?  It's possible that it's already a success for the
community, as it works well enough for the thousands using and
handful contributing to it, and they do not see your million-user
goal as worth putting effort into.

I'll note that I'd like to see D reach a million users, and I'm
doing my small part by trying to get it on the gigantic Android
install base, but my desire and single new port doesn't mean much
since those will not be enough to get D to a million, and I'm not
interested in working on Windows tooling or some other issues
that might get it there.

Similarly, whatever the definition of success is, whether yours
or the community's, it's meaningless without a plan and a push to
get there.  I know you can't make people follow your plan,
assuming you have one (not a dig, you just may not know how to
get to a million yet), but you can still sketch out some specific
efforts that you'd like to enable (more user bounties or better
ways to get input from commercial users or a much-improved GC,
which you have said you'd push for in a reddit comment) or put
out a public agenda/roadmap you'd like to see prioritized.

Without some purposeful steps in the direction of your "success,"
the D community is unlikely to randomly amble along towards where
you're hoping, at least not in the next couple decades. ;)