GSOC - Holiday Edition

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 3 06:14:40 PST 2015

On Saturday, 3 January 2015 at 05:25:17 UTC, Mike wrote:
> I think, without a few fundamental changes to the language and
> the runtime, bare-metal programming in D will always be playing
> second fiddle to C, and that significantly diminishes its
> appeal.

What changes did you have in mind? When I played with it, it was
mostly using the C-like subset, but I still think it was worth it
because bits like operator overloading and slicing are really
convenient.

What I've wanted before is better ability to remove dependency on
stuff like moduleinfo. Though that isn't a big deal on something
like x86 where an extra 30 KB is fine, I think it would be really
important on something like a arduino. (Which I intend to play
with - finally have one here - but haven't gotten around to yet.)