D and Nim

Shammah Chancellor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 4 10:22:48 PST 2015

On 2015-01-04 18:10:51 +0000, Jonathan said:

> Hey folks,
>
> I've been recently checking out Nim/rod and feel like it takes a lot of
> inspiration from D (I think the creator was in the D community too as
> some point). How do you think it compares? What areas does D, in
> principle, makes it a better choice? To give you my background, I like
> creating games (mostly using SDL bindings) using new languages, aiming
> for the most efficient yet concise way to write the engine and game
> logic.
>
> FYI, this is NOT a language war thread. I'm just curious about what
> separates them from a principle level.

I just heard about this language the other hanging out with some other
techies.   I like that it makes some common idioms in D first-class
citizens.   For example, imperative type declarations are first-class
citizens so all the boiler plate around "if (isInputRange!(R))" type
stuff goes away in Nim.  Unfortunately, they decided to use whitespace
to define scope :/

-S.