NaCl/Emscripten

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 10 17:05:47 PST 2015

On 11 January 2015 at 01:31, via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> There are also other compilers from C++ to Javascript, Mandreel and Cheerp.
>
> Cheerp claims to support the builtin Javascript garbage collector:
>
> «Dynamic memory management. C++ objects are translated directly to JS
> objects, without the proxy of an emulated, flat memory space. Allow your
> applications to exploit the JavaScript VM garbage collector and co-exist
> with fair, on-demand memory allocation.»
>
> http://www.leaningtech.com/cheerp/blog/
>
> So if Cheerp is ready for production (I don't know if it is), it might be a
> better fit for D.

The thing about cheerp vs emscripten, is that while cheerp produces
code that is more like javascript, emscripten produces asm.js, which
is lightning fast by comparison.
If there's actual work being done, then emscripten is the choice, if
it's just as a substitute for writing js code, because it's a
nightmare, then cheerp is probably better.