NaCl/Emscripten

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 10 17:33:23 PST 2015

On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 01:05:59 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> The thing about cheerp vs emscripten, is that while cheerp
> produces
> code that is more like javascript, emscripten produces asm.js,
> which
> is lightning fast by comparison.
> If there's actual work being done, then emscripten is the
> choice, if
> it's just as a substitute for writing js code, because it's a
> nightmare, then cheerp is probably better.

You are probably right about throughput which I would expect to
be better with Emscripten than Cheerp, although keep in mind that
only Firefox converts asm.js directly to asm without the regular
JIT. IE and Chrome uses the regular JIT AFAIK.

With asm.js you are also stuck with a fixed size heap and if you
manage to implement GC on asm.js, you get the freeze... Then you
have interop with JS. Not sure if you can interact with
Worker-threads within asm.js?

I had not heard of Cheerp until today, but it looks interesting
to me.