Thoughts on replacement languages (Reddit + D)

weaselcat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 11 12:47:36 PST 2015

On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 19:42:38 UTC, ponce wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 19:38:12 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>> Are you always able to detect them? I think languages (and
>> programmers) that don't have a strict attitude toward memory
>> safety will be slowly left behind in the few next years. D is
>> lacking in this (and the scoping management should be able to
>> plug some holes, and in the meantime there is this:
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/4277 ).
>
> There are tools to do that:
> https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-inspector-xe
> When we do have a memory safety bug, these tools help, and then
> I think "this wouldn't have happened in D" even without @safe.
> So I don't think D lacking in this.

Recently both Clang and GCC(? I think GCC has all of them now,
maybe not) have integrated address,memory,thread, and undefined
behavior sanitizer tools directly into their compiler aswell.

http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html#controlling-code-generation

I don't think the memory safety issue is as big of an issue for
99% of people as it is for a group like Mozilla. I'm not even
sure if Rust is going to replace C++ so much as possibly displace
Ada.

Rust's lifetimes and borrow checker also really aren't fun, I
feel like it really breaks my flow when I use Rust. It's like the
opposite of python(or D), where I can get the least amount of
scaffolding I need to get my concepts working, then fix it later.
Maybe the language just isn't targeted for someone like me though.

Rust still has things I'd like to see in D.
Just my two cents.