Common makefile (gasp) stuff

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 13 15:32:54 PST 2015

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:20:12 -0800
Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
wrote:

> Hey folks,
>

> Over the time a number of stuff has become quite duplicated across our
> makefiles for dmd, druntime, and phobos.
>
> These include fetching OS and model but (newer) general-purpose macros
> for e.g. rebasing repos, see
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/posix.mak#L37.
>
> I think it's time to reduce clutter and duplication by migrating such
> common stuff into one common.mak file. Question is, where should that
> file sit? One candidate is tools/ but it's not really a tool. Another
> candidate is dmd/src/ because that would be the first thing anyone
> depends on.
>
> Ideas?
i thing that dmd is the right place. there is little sense in building
brand new phobos without brand new dmd with all fixes and enhancements
anyway, so i believe that most people who wants to rebuild phobos and
druntime are already has dmd repo cloned.

besides, this is a basic thing, which is of almost no use for ldc and
gdc anyway.

i vote for dmd.