What is the D plan's to become a used language?

brian via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 14 19:19:09 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 at 05:10:05 UTC, Joakim wrote:

> Take a look at the official package registry, called dub:

I love dub, who doesn't. It is evidence of a very active and
large community.

> I don't think it's that unusual for a native compiled language:
> can you find C++ snippets to write tweets?  I doubt it.  A
> compiled languages is just not the tool people usually grab to
> write such things.

Pardon my naivity, but I don't know why I *wouldn't* want to do
this in D? I want something to pull tweets, analyse them quickly
and produce results. And then I graph it in something else. Isn't
this what this language would be *really* good at, as it provides
efficiency with minimal coding?

> D would like to be good at all these things, and some of them
> are enabled on dub.  But as a newer language with a smaller
> community than Java, obviously the amount of APIs covered is
> going to be less right now.

I'd love to help it on this journey, with my limited knowledge.
Where can I start?

> This is the normal chicken-or-egg problem with a new language
> like D, ie people want libraries or API wrappers to get their
> job done easier but if they don't spend time writing them, they
> never get done.

Agreed. But if I'm looking to use an API library and their isn't
one there, writing a new library entirely isn't exactly a trivial
task.

> Also, maybe the D community doesn't put their code up for
> public consumption as much as some other language communities.

This is my belief and main point.

> I don't doubt that these issues exist, I just consider them
> normal for a newer language.
>
> As for recommending D, I think it depends on the type of user.
> If they care at all about efficiency, I don't know that I'd
> recommend a language other than D.  If they don't really care
> how fast their code runs and prefer to stay at a higher
> scripting level, then the advantages of D fade compared to
> other languages.

Yes the language is efficient but what's the point in having
efficient code if I don't know how to get it to do what I want?

While I'm not sure if you agree or disagree with me, I think you
also clarify what I was trying to say.

My point wasn't that there aren't ways to do things in D.
My point was that there are fewer examples of *how* to do things
in D.
This will discourage the new user, which will prevent it becoming
a more popular language.
So if I'm looking for a new language to use, I'd probably stick
to the ones that have more examples.