Common makefile (gasp) stuff

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 15 08:06:05 PST 2015

On Thursday, 15 January 2015 at 07:33:38 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2015-01-14 21:54, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> I hear you but The Internet says submodules are a kind of a
>> bummer.
>
> Most issues I have read about is because they don't know how
> submodules work. It's the same thing with most tools, if you
> don't know how to use it the experience is going to be crappy.
>
> I'm hoping the submodules can be automatically update, i.e. on
> a push to some of the submodules. I'm expecting most work to be
> done in the submodules and the super repository will be kept in
> sync automatically.

We have been using git submodules for internal dependencies of
Sociomantic projects for quite a while. It is not perfect but it
works good if you defines terms of usage strict enough.

In this specific case I think it may work with help of few shell
scripts that may reside in same top-level repo. Actually I do
remember someone already trying that setup but can't find the
links now. Anyone with better memory?