What is the D plan's to become a used language?

CraigDillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 15 09:44:47 PST 2015

On Thursday, 15 January 2015 at 17:32:11 UTC, CraigDillabaugh
wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 January 2015 at 16:53:14 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 1/15/15 1:42 AM, weaselcat wrote:

>>> D is the 8th most popular language on Rosetta Code(I think
>>> most of the
>>> entries are from a single person - Bearophile), it's within
>>> ~25 entries
>>> of C, Ruby, etc.
>>
>> Way to go bearophile! Could somebody please insert a reference
>> to Rosetta Code on dlang.org?
>>
>>> There's also the cookbook on the wiki that's unfinished.
>>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Cookbook
>>> and the tutorial page
>>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Tutorials
>>
>> Well those need to be finished before we advertise them.
>>

>> Andrei
>
> I suppose such things will never be really 'finished', but
> indeed they are of uneven quality, and sort of scattered.
> Seems like a rather random collection of stuff, which is a
> testament to the project's open source nature.
>
> Finally, one issue with using a Wiki in general is that it
> would be nice if any code snippets in D howto's, FAQs,
> tutorials, etc could be run through the latest DMD release so
> that it doesn't get 'out of step' with the current language. I
> suppose if most of the Howto's/Tutorials were written in DDOC
> the Howto/Tutorials could be run through the auto-tester ...
> but I am not sure exactly how this would be done/how difficult
> it would be.

I think I should clarify my last point a bit.  What I had in
mind, it that for tutorials/faqs/howtos, etc. It would be nice if
each tutorial/howto were coded as a single D file, with the
actual content in DDOC format, and any D code as compilable code
within the file.  Then at each new release the tutorials could be
compiled to make sure they stay in sync.

When I said I was unsure how difficult this would be I meant that
this may present challenges for tutorial writers.  Also, in this
case you would want your code (or a subset thereof) to show up in
the output. Not sure if DDOC could handle that.