Please help me with improving dlang.org

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 17 18:34:33 PST 2015

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:18:17 -0800
Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
wrote:

> I took the better part of today working on this:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/780. See demo
> at http://erdani.com/d/.
>
> What do you all think? Is it an improvement over what we have now?
>
> I'd appreciate your help with reviewing and pulling this, and also with
> improving the colors (which I'm terrible at) and page tracking as
> mentioned in the pull request.
as you wrote "What do you all think?", i will tell you my impressions
too.

somehow it's not looking better at all. the new sidebar is looking
like... like something that's alien to the site. it's very contrast,
which distracts from the main container, and screams: "read me! read
me! I TOLD YOU TO READ ME!"

old sidebar was almost unnoticable, which is good for supporting site
element. but new one looks like it's one of the main things on the
site, maybe even the most important one. it's white background sends a
signal "i'm The Content!"

but maybe i'm just too old for today's modern sites. for me, most of
them are designed for anything but presenting me the actual content and
just get out of my way while i'm reading. i was never able to
understand why current D site considered "old-fashioned" in the meaning
of "being old-fashioned is bad".

thank you for reading this old man's rant.