Use proper frameworks for building dlang.org

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 19 13:57:10 PST 2015

On Monday, 19 January 2015 at 20:41:08 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> These are well established frameworks used by very many
> developers. I would bet that each of them have more users than
> D has. If you don't like frameworks you free to call the tools
> something else.

There is no solid gravity in web development, so if dlang gets an
overhaul every 4-8 years it probably is better to avoid them. As
IE9/IE10 are phased out a new situation is being established on
the browser side, e.g. you are getting things like Polymer
(forward-looking "frameworks" driven by browser vendors).

> I suggested well established tools for web development. I can't
> say that is true for Ddoc. I also never heard of anyone using
> XSLT for web development.

XSLT is fine for generating static sites, but you can use
anything that is decent at transforming a semantic data
structure. By using XML+XSLT you market D as having a standard
supporting infrastructure. That's the key issue. If you want
people to move to D, you need to show that there is standard
generic infrastructure that makes the transition easier.

If server development in D means using hodge-podge ad hoc tech...
then that is a bad sign.

But if  dlang.org goes for hodge-podge, then it might as well
silently use Ruby/Python/Go/ whatever... since D are then not
using dlang.org to position itself as a standard supporting
server platform. *shrugs*