Splitting std.algorithm

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 20 22:50:09 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:16:18PM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I honestly don't care whether std.algorithm is split or not.
>
> The documentation needs to be split. But that can be done with the
> future doc generator.
>
> However, anything that furthers the reduction in cross-importing all
> of phobos is good in my book.
>
> I also think this is pasting over the real problem -- dmd consumes too
> much memory.
[...]

Well, splitting std.algorithm is easier than fixing dmd's memory hogging
ways, I think. :-P  But yeah... something needs to be done about that.
It's downright painful to run dmd on my older work PC, which is an old
dual core pentium. It's not *ancient* ancient, but old enough to have a
small enough memory that things slow to an unusable crawl as soon as I
compile something non-trivial with dmd. Because of that, I've given up
using D for script-like code at work, whereas if dmd was a bit more
conservative in memory usage, I'd replace all my shell and perl scripts
in an instant.

(Well to be fair, most of that memory is hogged by the browser, so dmd
doesn't really have that much wriggling room to begin with, but that
belongs in another rant. :-P)

Real men don't take backups. They put their source on a public FTP-server and let the world mirror it. -- Linus Torvalds