Window creation, for phobos?

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 28 00:19:30 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 07:48:42 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2015-01-27 23:04, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>> I have dream! A dream, dream dream. A dream to see GUI's easy
>> to use in
>> D! I must admit it will be hard, but it's time. Prime time I
>> mean!
>
> Oh, it's time for GUI season again :).

I might be a little bored of web development. To the point of, I
have an amazing idea to replace dlang.org entire ecosystem.
Andrei already knows and likes the idea. I just can't be bothered
to make it happen.

>> Now enough gabble.
>> I'm proposing to get Devisualization.Window PR'd into phobos.
>
> What exactly are you proposing, just to be able to get a window
> or a full GUI library? Will this include some event
> handler/event processing as well?

Just window creation with basic event handling.
Basically to spec of what Devisualization.Window's interfaces [0]
are already.
Nothing special currently like touch. Although based upon current
trends it should be in there.

>> This cannot happen right now. It's blocked on many fronts.
>> 1) Objective-C bridge. The most obvious one for OSX
>
> A bridge is a bad idea. D needs first class support for
> Objective-C, i.e. extern (Objective-C). But perhaps that's what
> you're referring to?

Thats what I was referring to.

>> 6) Cocoa bindings (easy not an issue, just dependent on the
>> bridge)
>
> It depends on what you need. It's not really hard, just tedious
> and time consuming. If you don't need a full set of Cocoa
> bindings it's hopefully not a problem.
>
> BTW, DStep can generate bindings for Objective-C code.
>
>> Jacob Carlborg, how far off is the objective-c bridge?
>
> If you refer to extern (Objective-C) I'm redoing it for the
> third time, now splitting it up in multiple pull requests. The
> first pull request has been created [1], although it hasn't
> received much review yet, at least not from any core developers
> (that I know of).

I'll ping Andrei about it then.

>> Has any definitions to e.g. Cocoa been started either?
>
> Maybe. There's someone in the forums that has started to use
> D/Objective-C. He has created bindings [2] for AppKit,
> Foundation and WebKit. I have no idea about the quality of the
> bindings and how complete they are.
>
> I also have a lot of bindings [3] for my old Objective-C
> bridge. It should be possible to do some regular expression
> search-and-replace to adapt them to D/Objective-C, if desired.
>
> As said above, DStep can generate bindings for Objective-C.
>
> [1] https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/4321
> [2]
> https://github.com/DiveFramework/DiveFramework/tree/master/Interfaces
> [3] http://dsource.org/projects/dstep/browser/dstep