accept @pure @nothrow @return attributes

Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 28 09:00:11 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:37:28 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 15:16:50 via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
> We could also remove @ from all of the attributes, and then
> that would be
> "completely consistent," because then only UDAs will have @ on
> them. But the
> next time that we need to add a new attribute (which will
> hopefully be rare,
> but it happens sometimes - e.g. with @nogc recently), then we'd
> have to add
> a new keyword to avoid making things inconsistent, which would
> likely break
> existing code. So, more likely, we'd just tack @ onto it (which
> can still
> break code, but only UDA-specific code, so the breakage would
> be far more
> minimal), and we'd be right back where we are now.

I would love this, and I would be fine with the breakage costs,
speaking for myself.

About the problem of add more attributes in the future: well,
maybe that solution will put a rubber floor on the number of
attributes that can be added, as they are already a big number
really....

It would be interesting an implementation of both the solutions,
and recompile a bunch of big projects out from the registry with
dub, just to finally move the discussion on numbers instead of
"likely would break a lot / lot more / not so much breakage /
etc" ...

I know the reply: help us trying out instead of writing!  ;-P ;-P

---
Paolo