Google Summer of Code - Again

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 30 14:30:08 PST 2015

On 31/01/2015 3:24 a.m., CraigDillabaugh wrote:
> On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:37:14 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>> On 30/01/2015 5:32 p.m., Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
>
> clip
>>>
>>> 6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  If you are
>>> working
>>> on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a student
>>> could help you (and you could help
>>> them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially if we end up
>>> dropping QML.
>>
>> Based upon what I was saying for getting window creation library in
>> phobos.
>> We need a good image library. This is another blocker. Requires color
>> definition so it might be included depending on how Manu goes.
>> Also could be useful is cross platform sound output.
>> Printing?
>
> Hey, you are already doing web development!  Do you not sleep or something?

I do sleep, a lot actually ;)

> I think for GSOC we need to have projects that are at least up and
> running, and provide them with something to work off of. This effort
> (Window Creation/Image Library) stills seems very much in the
> 'conception' phase, and my personal feeling is that until the exact
> goals are fleshed out a bit more it would be a shaky platform for a GSOC
> project.

Window creation isn't conception. Its a very nice reality :)
I was just throwing it out there however about an image library. In case
somebody wanted to mentor for it.

> There is the following project however:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/szqsscsvcbpjjeelkpve@forum.dlang.org
>
> How is that related to what you are proposing?  Maybe Vadim could be
> enticed to sign up as a mentor?

We're not ready to start working on GUI's. We need to get the base
libraries like image done first. They are far more important!