Window creation, for phobos?

user via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 31 01:24:20 PST 2015

I don't know, you sound like a perfectionist to me, like most of
other community members. I can only give examples from my
experience.

I am a controls engineer in my current day job, and I do SW
coding in my free time (like couple of hours per week). In the
past, I changed my D GUI libs from old-DWT --> DFL --> GTKD -->
new DWT for obvious reasons. I cannot afford to keep doing that.
Finally I gave up and picked python-TKinter and Java-swing. I
know they will always work and they still keep working without
any changes even after several update cycles.

My tools were such a hit that half the company (~ 0.5 * 2000
people) is using them now, which is nice. Had I written them in
D, that would have been a nice advertisement for D.

Note that I don't care that the GUI lib has to be awesome or
perfect. It just have to work, even if it is ugly like tkinter.

I think I understand the reasons for this philosophy of lean,
mean and efficient std libs, they will help D compete with other
heavily financially backed languages, but I guess the same
philosophy is also hurting people like me. Maybe in another 10
years we will get a super efficient gui-lib in phobos, if at all,
most likely we wont.

May be next time I will try to experiment once again with the
gui-libs in dub.

- D user