std.string.entabber, detabber, left/right/centerJustifier, soundexer

ixid via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 2 01:48:41 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 25 June 2015 at 21:01:39 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> writeln(str.lowerCased.detabbed.transmogrified);
>
> sounds better than this:
>
> writeln(str.lowerCaser.detabber.transmogrifier);
>
> IMO, when naming things, generally we should lean towards
> representing semantics rather than mechanics (i.e. how is this
> function going to be used, rather than what this function does
> under the hood), as that will result in more readable code.
>
> Anyway, this is extreme bikeshedding and I won't mind too much
> leaving these alone.
>
> Proposed new names: entabbed, detabbed,
> left/right/centerJustified, soundexed. (Existing similar names:
> `indexed`, `transposed`)

They're nicer without either 'er' nor 'ed'.

writeln(str.lowerCase.detab.transmogrify);

Just as join and split are much better than the rather tortured
joiner and splitter. That may be a cutter but I want it to cut,
and would rather invoke it that way. The er and ed carry no
useful information and sound clunky. A man may be a mower but I'd
ask him to mow the field.