DUB 0.9.24 beta 2

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 4 02:56:48 PDT 2015

Am 03.07.2015 um 21:05 schrieb Mathias Lang via Digitalmars-d:
> <mailto:digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>>:
>

>     It was a close decision, but the implementation is pretty simple and
>     relatively well covered with tests, it shouldn't be an issue. So the
>     only remaining issues would be possible compatibility issues for
>     people not running the latest version (not *really* an issue) and
>     the risk that the format, against all previous consideration, is
>     deemed unsuited in the end (which would be really bad anyway).
>
>     What worries you the most?
>

> I'm just not comfortable making a format basically nobody knows, which
> was introduced less than a month ago as "an additive change", which
> isn't as well documented and indexed as the json one is
> (http://code.dlang.org/package-format) the default.
> In addition the likeliness that few bugs will arise doesn't mean that
> none will, and I'd take a used-over-the-years solution over something
> just implemented any day.
> `dub init` is likely to be the first thing a beginner will want to do as
> soon as (s)he learns about code.dlang.org <http://code.dlang.org>, and
> event if it's still possible to use json, it's not well documented /
> known yet, so I don't see a clear return on investment on this change,
> while I can clearly see a net loss.
>
> Obviously I'm not saying the format is not suitable, but I'd like to
> give it more time to mature.

It is heavily modeled after the JSON format, so it's not like there are
a lot of new and unproven ideas. There may certainly be some things that
could be improved, but those changes will need to happen in a
backwards-compatible way no matter if default or not.

The documentation has been updated:
http://code.dlang.org/package-format?lang=sdl